[Advaita-l] avadhUta GItA

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 15 09:51:47 CST 2006

namaste |

A few days ago, I read somewhere on the Internet:

"There is a story in the AvadhUta GItA which talks of the AvadhUta who
stopped at a wayside inn and was asked by the innkeeper, "What is your
teaching?" He replied, "There is no teacher, no teaching and no one taught."
And then he walked away."

I have on my bookshelves several English translations and two French
translations of the AvadhUta GItA, but nowhere in the text could I find this
"story". Although my knowledge of Sanskrit is very basic, I searched also in
the Itrans encoding of the text, but was not more successful. I tried in
another text by the name of AvadhUta upanishad, but this citation is not
there either.

Would any learned member of the list know where this quotation really occurs
and what the exact reference is?

Of course I am aware that such an assertion as:  "There is no teacher, no
teaching and no one taught." seems highly iconoclastic, provocative and
antitraditional, but at the same time it reminded me of other more or less
similar expressions in acknowleged and respected traditional texts like
gauDapAdIya kArikA 2.32:

na nirodho na chotpattirna baddho na cha saadhakaH .

na mumukshurna vai mukta ityeshhaa paramaarthataa .. 32..

or  ashhTaavakra giitaa 20.3:

kva vidyaa kva cha vaavidyaa kvaahaM kvedaM mama kva vaa .kva bandha kva cha
vaa mokshaH svaruupasya kva ruupitaa .. 20\-3.. Well I am also aware that
the last two statements are most probably made from a paramArthika point of
view and do not apply to the little self of i (the one with a small cap)
still living in the vyavAharika state and a poor vyavahArikayA bhAshayA
vada.I should still be thankful for any reply on the aforesaid quotation
from the AvadhUta GItA. namAmi bhagavatpAdaM sha~NkaraM lokasha~Nkaram.h ||

Guy W. namaste | A few days ago, I read somewhere on the Internet: "There is
[...]
expressions in acknowledged and respected traditional texts like gauDapAdIya