[Advaita-l] New member introduction: Ram Garib

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jan 13 11:26:04 CST 2006

Name: Ram Garib, M 46 from Lucknow, India.
Profession: Civil Servant
Caste: Shudra

I was introduced to vedic teachings in my teen age through SriVaishnava
Satsanga Mandal. This ignited my interest in vedic teachings however it
could not take me far because of some caste barriers. I was not interested
in superficial study/bhajan mandals and was not welcome in the hardcore
study groups. Disgusted, I left my pursuit and vowed not to look again
towards vedic teaching.

However, I could not keep my vow for long. My thirst for knowledge kept
pushing me and led me to pursue post-graduate study in philosophy. Through
this I got a basic understanding of aastika schools. Once again I got
interested in vedanta and met Sri Punja-ji for teaching advaita. However,
though at a deeper level his message seemed to be the same, I found little
resemblence in him with shankara's method I learned in philosophy classes.
I had great admiration for shankara and I wanted to learn pristine
shankara.

At this time, one of my subordinates in office who happened to be a
priest, performed my yagyopavita and introduced me to nitya karmas. This
also did not seem to help much and rather created unnecessary antagonism.
Therefore, after sometime I gave up my yagyopavita and nitya karmas.

By sheer luck, I met Dr. Anand Mohan Srivastava, professor of philosophy
at Benares Hindu University who had studied shankara with Swami
Krishnananda-ji of Rishikesh. He agreed to teach me shankara but wanted me
to start with navya nyaaya. I started learning from him navya nyaaya,
shankara's commentary on Gita and Ananadagiri teeka. Unfortunately for me,
Dr. Srivastava, moved to USA, and my studies remained incomplete.

Now I am trying to augment my knowledge of vedic teaching through self
study of books by Swami Dayananda Saraswati. I hope to get more knowledge
of advaita through this forum. Please let me know, if you need any other
information.

Yours Sincerely
Ram Garib