[Advaita-l] Self-knowledge

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 09:43:26 CST 2006

Pranams:

Thanks for you gracious remarks but I see you elaborate your earlier
position but have no further justification for it. It is a common mistake to
think that love arises in the mind but love in its purest form (a.k.a .
sat-cit-ananda) is universal and not a product of the manas. An therefore,
my allusion to Discovery channel - the locality idea is a very Western
thought! :-)

Let me put forth my case some more:

1. Can the intellect comprehend love? However subtle it may be, the term 'I
understand love' is a invalid.  Infact, all feelings belong to this
category. The intellect can only register feelings and act or them but
cannot understand them. I am hungry makes the intellect search for food but
it cannot express the feeling intelligebly in any way. So, is love as
prosaic as hunger? I don't think so because most other feelings are
localized (I am hungry, I am angry, etc). Sure, one can say 'I am in love'
but interestingly, it is the only feeling that has a higher dimension - the
statement "Love is" is a valid and correct statement. Infact, if you read
Rumi, you will know that it is the ONLY valid statement.
2. Lets take now, the case of two lovers who fall in love 'at first sight'.
How is that possible? How can two individuals who know nothing about each
other be connected in such a bond "like they were looking for each other all
their lives"? It behoves the mind (intellect, I guess) to think that each
individual separately had such overpowering feelings in their manas that
attracted them to each other! There has to be some common factor that linked
the two of them - that IMHO is the universal love that is all around but was
reflected in the two intellects in such a way that they "found each other"!
That is the only plausible explanation.

In short, IMHO, when it comes to spirituality, the intellect is a feeble
instrument (however subtle) since it can barely rise to the high levels
required of true love a.k.a. realization!

Humble pranams, Mahesh