[Advaita-l] Re: Questions on Isavasya

Shyam Subramanian shyamsub at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:28:31 CDT 2006

On 8/7/06, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> It helps to have some basic Sanskrit knowledge, but I don't see why not.
> e.g. when one sees the sentence "vedo nityam adhIyatAM" (example from the
> upadeSa pancaka, which Sri Abhishek posted recently), it helps if one
> knows
> that the word vedaH gets transformed to vedo when followed by specific
> kinds
> of consonants.

Namaste Sri Vidyasankar,

Sorry for nitpicking on something completely peripheral to your excellent
mind.

IMO, it is not correct to say that "vedaH gets transformed to vedo when
followed by specific kinds
of consonants" .  Simply because the transformation process resulting in
vedo
(vedas -> vedar -> vedo when followed by specific consonants or "a" )
does not involve the generation of "vedaH" at any stage. As I understand it
(and
as I am sure you know), a visarga is generated (r -> H) only when either a
pause follows or a
"khar" (kh, ph, ch, Th, th, c, T, t, k, p, S, sh, s).

My knowledge of sanskrit grammar is limited to sandhi rules, so
feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  If you meant otherwise,
do excuse me for taking a "literalist" interpretation of your
statement :-).

Regards,
Shyam