[Advaita-l] A Plea for Dharmic Help - Books Needed

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 13:30:53 CDT 2005

--- Srikrishna Ghadiyaram <srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello, Kartik
>
> Please refer to the title,
>
> Apastamba Grihya Kaumudi, Ekagni Kanda mantra bhashya
> sahitamu, Telugu Vyakhya by Sri Vangala Venkatarama
> Sastry, Rs. 120/-
>
> This book has mantra in Telugu lipi and commentary in
> Telugu.
>
> This can be procured from
>
> Vangala Markandeya Sastry, BPC Dealer
> KK Towers, Flat # G1
> 3/19 Brodipet
> Guntur- 522 002
> Tel: 863-2241127

Thanks for the information, I shall try to get it from the above
source. University of Texas at Austin and Stanford University
also have some of the texts.

An incident narrated by MS is worth pondering about. An American
graduate student researcher in Indology had come over to Chennai
(India) to present some of his "findings" on mImAmsA, and MS was
requested to attend the student's lecture and presentation. The
lecture was, of course, in English, and MS hardly understood a
few words in it. At the end of the lecture, a gentleman asked MS
if he agreed with what the research student had presented, and
MS was at a loss as to what to say. The gentleman then explained
that the student's theory was that "BhAvanA" was an unnecessary
theory in mImAmsA. MS was stunned, because BhAvanA is as central
to mImAmsA as Ishvara is to VedAnta! Without BhAvanA, there is
no mImAmsA. To say that mImAmsA does not require BhAvanA is such
a complete misrepresentation of mImAmsA philosophy.

One should be wary of the American "research institutions" that
study our scriptures and then teach us what it says. The Western
institutions will rewrite our religion in a way that will become
impossible for us to decipher. If we don't put in the effort to
preserve our religious heritage, it will be in serious jeopardy,
and it will only be our fault. It is sad to note that the very
texts pertaining to mImAmsA/VedAnta that traditional pandits -
who live their lives conforming to the Vedas - find difficult to
locate are readily available to "modern" researchers in various
universities in the USA, none of whom is even remotely
interested in the preserving the tradition.

Once again, I reiterate my request that anyone who can find the
requisite books please contact me with the location or mail it
either to my address or directly to MS. Please be assured that
it is indeed a good help for a dhArmic cause.

Thanks,

Kartik