[Advaita-l] Three Questions on Jiva, Atman & Brahma-jnAna

Amuthan Arunkumar R aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Thu Oct 6 16:33:53 CDT 2005

namo nArAyaNAya!

--- shrI V. Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Your question No.2:
> The final realization (thou art that) is just
> knowledge. As
> soon as avidya is burnt by brahmanjnana one tends to
> perceive brahman in everything and everything in
> brahman –
> just a continuum. How can acquiring knowledge
> release one
> from cycle of births and deaths, for knowledge is
> purely
> mental and not a physical phenomenon?
>
> VK: Yes, Knowledge is a mental phenomenon, alright.
> Why do
> you think that mental activity will not have an
> influence
> on the physical plane? Don’t you wake up from your
> dream
> because in the dream something shocking happened?

a small observation. brahma j~nAnam is NOT a mental
phenomenon. it is our svarUpa lakshaNam. a mere mental
knowledge that the Atman and the brahman are identical
is not sufficient for mukti. mind too is something
within avidyA. birth and death, bondage and liberation
etc. exist only in the mind which is a product of
avidyA. in reality none of these exist. a j~nAni does
not perceive anything as identical or non-identical,
as unity or as multiplicity. he just is.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.

Amuthan Arunkumar R,
Final year, B.Tech/M.Tech Dual Degree,