[Advaita-l] Advaita Vedanta and Ignorance

Krunal Makwana krunalmakwana at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 20:53:09 CST 2005

|| Namo Narayan ||

I understand that ignorance is the cause of this outward perception but
saying this, if Atma and Paramatma is the same, and that Paramatma is all
knowing, then how can Paramatma be ignorant of what is being percieved in
the first place. There should never be any room for ignorance to arise in
the first place.

Saying that we percieve due to ignorance, ignorance would then be the cause
of this outward perception, then logically Paramatma is flawed with
ignorance. Ignorance can only occur, if something is not known, and
so...Paramatma if all knowing, is flawed and ignorant himself due for this
perception to take place in the first place.

But then we can saying that the Jiva or Atma is wrapped up in Maya, but
saying that then ignorance would have to be taken place from the highest
being for the jiva's to be ignorant, having a knock-on effect from Paramatma
to atma (who in Advaitin seem to be one). Because if the Atma is Paramatma,
and again if Paramatma is all-knowing then the atma would be all-knowing
respectively, but then to say that Atma is flawed and Paramatma isn't, that
is a contradiction in Advaita. Hence how can ignorance be identified from
it's foundation, because we can't say that Atma is ignorant, as Atma and
Paramatma are the same thing, and we can't say Paramatma is all-knowing then
ignorance would not arise in the first place.

Please do not condemn me as  this is just a point i am trying to make, i
believe myself to be an Advaitin but this question has always haunted me.
And also when debating with other fellow's of different philosophies (E.g.
Madhvacharya, ISKCON etc) this subject always seem to crop up which i do not
have an answer for. Please please please try and answer this and the
previous prose i have written earlier as constructively as possible.

Waiting eagerly for your responce

Krunal Makwana
Hindu Youth UK

<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>

&
>in  *AtmEti tUpa gacchanti grAhayanticha*....sUtra bhAshya.  & it is
also
>important to distinguish between two different view points in advaita
i.e.
>loukika (transactional) drushti & pAramArthika/shAstra
(transcedental)