[Advaita-l] Advaita Vedanta and Ignorance

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 10:52:57 CST 2005

Pranams:

My two bits (however naive):

The below analogy is erroneous when viewed from the jiva-jagat-ishwara
viewpoint, but it is addresses the ignorance angle of the question to
some degree:

Advaita:
Brahman is the magician, the magic is Maya, the audience represents
the deluded souls who percieve the magic to be real while the jnani is
the soul who can see through the magic as a sleight of hand on the
part of the magician

VishishtaAdvaita:
A jeweller uses molten gold to make ornaments like banlges, bracelets,
necklaces, etc. The deluded souls are those ornaments who think they
are individual entites (different from gold) while the jnani is one
who knows his/her true nature as gold.

Dwaita:
Brahamn is the shephard. The sheep that stray away from him/her is the
condition of the lost souls while those that return to him/her and
live in joy with him/her are the jnanis.

And so, as mentioned by an earlier post, the ignorance in all cases is
in the jiva and not Brahman.

Pranams, Mahesh