[Advaita-l] matter and spirit (jatam and chaitanyam)

murali mohan murali_mohan at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 02:33:01 CST 2005

  Just one basic doubt. Most religions and philosophies talk about this matter and spirit and that one has to rise above matter and know the spirit etc etc . Even Gita talks about ones lower nature (matter or jatam) and higher nature (spirit or chaitanyam). My question is are they two different things? In Advaita there is only spirit - even science says there is nothing but energy and matter is only condensed energy having a form for the certain period of time after which it dissipates. So what is all this about rising above matter when matter itself is brahman as there is nothing other than brahman?