[Advaita-l] Commentaries and Sub-commentaries on bhagavad-gItA

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:51:56 CDT 2005

It seems most of the commentaries are available from the gItA
supersite. One annoying feature (possibly the only one) about at least
the sha.nkara supersite is that the introductons to all upanishhad
bhaaShya-s are missing! For example, a good chunk of the aitareya
bhAShya is missing because it does not correspond to any verse. The
introduction to the bR^ihadAraNyaka on which the monumental sambandha
vArtika is based is also missing. Ditto for the chhAndogya. I don't
know if this is true of the gItA bhAShya also.

Anyway coming to the BG, a book with sha.nkaras bhAshya, Anandagiris
TIkA, bhAShyotkarShadIpikA of dhanapati sUri and notes in Sanskrit by
Sri V Subramanya Sastri and Sri P V Sivarama Diksitar has been
published by the Sanskrit Education Society in 1985. The foreword
specifically states this was done at the command of Sri Abhinava
Vidyatirtha of Sringeri, who wanted an edition without mistakes in
printing. It does call itself a critical edition, although there are
no notes on variant readings, etc. So I am not sure what they mean by
critical. But it promises to be good (caveat: I haven't read it at
all, except the foreword). It consists of 2 volumes.

The Samskrit Education Society
16 East Mada Street
Mylapore
Madras 600 0004