[Advaita-l] Is the Acharya's remark correct

Kiran B.R. kiran.br at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:49:20 CDT 2004

> This is why I cannot
> agree with Bhadraiah and Kiran who say "Indian mathematics was destroyed
> due to colonization"

What I meant was - the mathematical history of India has disappeared
from today's textbooks.  An Indian student graduates from school
thinking there was no such thing as Indian mathematics. He learns
nothing of Bhaskara or Lilavati or Aryabhatta. I'm neither saying that
India has not gained from European mathematics, nor that Indian
mathematics would have 'beaten' European mathematics if it weren't for
colonization. All I'm saying is - even to this day, the 'good Indian
student' develops the feeling that the only thing our forefathers
could do is sit in caves and meditate or languish in endless
superstition.

I also claim that Indian languages were destroyed due to colonization.
We're just a bunch of english speaking jokers feeling like fish out of
water in our own country, our water being there where we can bow in
servility to foreign rulers, tongues and moneys and live off
leftovers.

Apologies for the digression.

Cheers
Kiran