[Advaita-l] Difference bet. slokas and Mantras

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Mar 10 17:29:08 CST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, M. S. Ravisankar wrote:

> iishaavasyopanishhad comes in the samhita portion. Hence, it is known as
> samhitopanishhad and mantropanishhad.

Yes it is the 40th adhyaya of the vajasaneyi samhita of the
shuklayajurveda.  This is a one Mimamsaka argument against the validity of
Vedanta.  If jnana material occurs in the samhita it must be mantra meant
to be used in some ritual.  There is some discussion in the Brahmasutras
about why it is not so which I will try and post if I can find it.