[Advaita-l] "Tat Tvam Asi" and "So Aham"

Manikantan S manikantan_pes at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 09:03:08 CDT 2004

Namaskaram,

I am Just trying to learn the inner meanings of these
2 sentences.

I beleive that both these senteces are logical trying
to say the principle of advaita. if i translate these
senteces to english it becomes " You are that" and
"Iam Him".

This is the assumption i have made .

Now my question is , in the sentences " So Aham" ,
there are only 2 entities "Sah"(HE) "Aham" (ME) ,
which means after the process of realisation , "Aham"
Merges with "Sah" and results in one entity,

But in the sentence "Tat Tvam Asi" , I feel There are
3 entities , "Tat"(THAT), "Tvam"(YOU) and "THE THIRD
PERSON" , who is *telling* this sentence.In True
essence there must be only 2 entities(before
realisation), but why are there 3 entities in this
sentence?

Can someone kindly explain the similarity/difference
between these 2 sentences.

Thanks
Manikantan S