[Advaita-l] RE: Human Genome

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:12:41 CDT 2004

>Does the success of the Human Genome project and decoding of the human
>genes
>can be presented as a case study of the Advaitha philosophy. This also very
>clearly states that God did not sit and create human being and but God is a
>process an eternal process which is in turn truth. The Genome project also
>states those codes which make a Human genes and these codes/protien talked
>to each other as a part of evolution and made the Human Gene Signature.

In my considered opinion, no.

The decoding of the human genome says nothing about God creating or not
creating. For that matter, there are other genome projects going on,
Drosophila (fruit fly), mouse, cattle etc. Biological evolution does not
suddenly start with genes and proteins in the human species. It involves all
species, from the simplest protozoa and bacteria to mammals.

As far as advaita is concerned, we do not say that God is an eternal process
at all. Rather, truly knowing Brahman is a return to the stillness at the
center of the process of activity. The truth lies in the stillness, not in
the process, whether on a day-to-day basis or on an evolutionary timescale
of millions of years.

Vidyasankar