[Advaita-l] Sankaracharya

Venkat Shrinivas vsh at verizon.net
Fri Apr 9 08:50:36 CDT 2004

>> -  Why should  a public debate arise as to whether it is authentic
Sankarite or not,

>> -  why should one be urged to  study books and copper plates to believe
in the Mutt s antiquity,

>> -  why at all should this debate arise  in the last 100 plus years if
people had known well  this Mutt all the time.

I do not have the real answers to these questions. But coming from Tamilnadu
and having been exposed to Tamil literature, history and politics - I have
the following observations:
1) TN has been place where other non-Vedic religions especially Jainism was
predominant. There was this constant conflict between Shaivaites and other
traditions. Texts like periya-puranam detail several such episodes where the
debates raged and the losing party either committed suicide or converted to
the tradition of the winners! Lot of saints were very much interested in
converting the Kings - as the religion of the Kings had a big say on how
well the faith flourished in the kingdom.

2) Even in recent history - the parties like DK and DMK were stared and
flourished on the atheistic and anti-Brahmin platform in TN.

My point is Advaita-Vedanta as a philosophy faced and continues to face lots
of threats and challenges in TN.

Venkat Shrinivas