[Advaita-l] Re: e-vedanta course

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Nov 12 17:01:28 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Ram Chandran wrote:

> Namaste Sri Ragavendra:
>
> Please understand that this course is offered in the name of an Research
> and Educational Foundation. Swamiji on his own does not prefer to give
> any certificate but if the students demand a certificate (which the
> student consider it to be of high value) the teacher doesn't want to
> antogonize the stude

[...]

> Unfortunately, there is
> plenty of igorant people who look for a certificate after paying a fee!

You are painting a very bleak picture of the leaders and followers of the
Chinmaya Mission.  FWIw, I haven't taken much interest in the CM's
activities in my area but  I know some some people who are involved and
they seem quite decent and sincere to me.

I don't think this thread should turn into a referendum on the CM.  It's
not my intention anyway.  Rather it's the issues of economics, innovation
etc.  that we should think about.

> Many people who donate money to the temple look for a
> certificate - printed permanantly on the walls of the temples. Who
> should be blamed for this?

Though it's not something we should be proud of either, this at least can
be somewhat excused by saying that mandirs and karma kanda are for
personal benefit, i.e. Dharma, Artha, and Kama.  Advaita Vedanta on the
other hand is for moksha and it requires vairagya.  Appealing to peoples
greed and stupidity is not going to promote vairagya anymore than feeding
fat people junk food is going to promote weight loss.

> Finally, even in Padasalas, when students complete the vedic courses,
> they are provided with titles - Sastrigal, Ganapatigal, Srowthigal,
> etc., etc., according to their level of learning!

Yes but these titles are based on results i.e. mastering ghana patha not
completing x amount of lessons or giving x amount of money.

And again these are worldly pursuits.  Being a Shrauti doesn't guarantee
Mukti.