[Advaita-l] Causal Body

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:56:21 CDT 2003

namaste Sri Jay,

I had a couple of questions on parts of multiple posts and I have attached
them here. I do not intend to pursue these questions further though. This is
just to clarify my understanding.

> Therefore, sAkshee-D rejects what is given in this picture as a 5-legged
> elephant, irrespective of how much we respect the artist who drew that
> picture because, the "internal consistentcy" is lost in that knowledge.
> This is how sAkshee-D establishes validity of knowledge.  What is grasped
> by sAkshee-D is always correct, because of this "internal consistency".

But if a rope is seen as a snake in darkness, there is internal consistency
in this. So sAkshee-D assumes the knowledge is valid, but its really not
valid and sAkshee-D is gettin misled?

> "yatO vAchO nivartantE aprApya manasA saha"
> That is why this shruti is interpreted by us as "Brahman can not be
> known completely" through words,  nor can  He be comprehended fully by the
> mind.

"yatO vAchO nivartantE" literally means "that from which speech recoils".
Shruti seems to be telling us literally that brahman cannot be expressed in
words and cannot be grasped through the mind. I don't see how this is
stretched to mean "Brahman cannot be known completely".

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam