[Advaita-l] Causal Body

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 18:28:33 CDT 2003

Hari Om !!

--- kuntimaddi sadananda <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> --- Srikrishna Ghadiyaram
> <srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hari Om !!
>
> > I was listening to audio lectures of Swami
> Dayananda
> > of Arsha Vidya Peetam on Atma Bodha. He mentioned
> that
> > Vijnanamaya Kosa is akin to Kartrutva and Karana
> > Sareera is akin to Bhoktrutva (Sukham to be
> specific).
> >
> > Also, while reading the commentary of Swami
> > Tejomayananda on Atma Bodha, I came across this
> > statement on Page 80:
> >
> > "The Unmanifest condition of the five elements and
> the
> > three qualities is the Causal Body."
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > I would urge the members to comment on the above
> > statements, and also give other opinions so that
> > Karana Sarira can be understood better.
>
> Srikrishna,
>
> Here is my understanding.
>
> kartRitva and bhoktRiva are bhaava-s or notions in
> the mind.  Hence
> should be there when the mind and intellect are
> functioning - that is
> when manomaya and vijnaanamaya are functioning.  In
> deep sleep both  are
>  folded since in that state there are no thoughts
> and notions that I am
> the thinker or enjoyer are also not there.

Probably, your observation is not correct. If mind was
the seat of kartrutva and bhoktrutva, there should be
none to claim the deep sleep experience. But, on
waking up, we say "I was Happy. I had a sound sleep".
Unless Bhoktrutva is there, there would not have been
a claimant on waking up. We know that 'Karana
Sareera', whatever it be exists in all the three
states.  Probably that is the reason Swami Dayananda
explained that the Bhoktrutva is part of Karana
Sareera. Unfortunately, he did not elaborate. Also, we
can not say that during deep sleep there is no mind,
because Priya, Moda, Pramoda are Vrittis of mind only.

> 'That I enjoyed sleep' is also a statement of the
> intellect of the waker
> about the sleep - but the intellect was not there to
> claim that I was
> there to enjoy.  From my understanding "who slept
> well' during deep
> sleep  also comes under the category of
> anirvachaniiyam - since vachanam
> comes at the level of the intellect only - therefore
> only notional.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna