[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 6

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:26:00 CDT 2003

> > So it is incorrect to say *blueness* is superimposed on sky.
> > All we see is diffracted sun-light as *blueness* of the sky
> > there is nothing that is superimposed there.

This is a distinction without a difference. When you know that there is
nothing that is really superimposed there, you have already done the apavAda
of adhyAropa.

You agree that the sky is not inherently blue. The blueness is a property of
the diffraction due to the atmosphere. Nowadays, everybody who has gone to
school knows the physical reason behind it. Yet, people (including
scientists) say all the time, "The sky is blue." They exclaim, "How
beautiful, today the sky is such a clear blue." Or else they say, "It is
such a gray day; you can hardly seen any blue in the sky."

THAT is superimposition, in a nutshell. People do it all the time when they
use words. This is adhyAropa. However, it is not as if some specific person
takes some specific thing called "blueness" and physically superimposes it
on a specific thing called the sky. Through education, one knows that
blueness is not a property of the sky itself. This is apavAda.

Vidyasankar