The mind according to Sri Shankaracharya.

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 11 11:20:25 CDT 2002

>It is surely a fundamental mistake if you're not ready to question the
>fundament. But I like the mistake which empowers a seeker with the ability
>to move every atom in the universe at will. And if this ability is to be

Kiran, if everything were only a matter of what one likes as opposed to
what another likes, there will only be chaos. I, for instance, like the
mistake which keeps the seeker from desiring to move every atom in the
universe at will. And I suspect that most people in this world like my
mistake too!

>I think it is a useful to think of the mind as a bag full of scrap iron-
>filings which point in arbitrary directions for lack of unity among the
>individual bits and because of objects of sense which attract groups of
>these bits like magnets. Reorganizing all these iron filings to point in
>one direction is possible, and that is the ultimate state the human mind
>can reach. That requires physical work (as in force X distance) against
>those deadly material magnets.

There is a further ultimate state, and that is emptying the mind-bag of all
the scrap iron.

Best,
Vidyasankar