New member introduction: Steve Wray

Steve Wray steve.wray at PARADISE.NET.NZ
Mon Oct 21 21:59:46 CDT 2002

First of all, I am no physicist. I have, however studied
the many worlds semantics of logic as part of my philosophy
honors year.

Also, my vedanta is rather rusty so I will leave out terms such
as jiva and caitanya which I believe might be appropriate to
this discussion, but which I do not wish to use incorrectly.

So far as I am aware, a small quantum computer has already
been constructed and tested. There are some articles on this
at www.newscientist.com

This is also where I read an article which reasoned thus;
One day, a quantum computer will be built which will
perform a computation which would require more processors
than there are atoms in the (known) universe.
At such a time, the question must be asked "Where did these
computations take place?"
The author draws from this, the conclusion that the existence
of quantum computers verifies the "ManyWorlds" interpretation
of quantum mechanics.

The actual means by which information can get from one world
to another is restricted to the very small scale of the quantum
world. I believe that it is known as 'quantum interference'.

What quantum computers allow us to do, is to amplify this
interference into the large-scale world. Thus we can use results
gained from computational work done in these other worlds to help
us make decisions etc in this world.

It seems not implausible that the phenomenon of consciousness
may be due to similar quantum interference; the brain thereby
acting as an amplifier much as a quantum computer does.

I believe that it was Roger Penrose who first suggested that
due to the scale at which activity within cells takes place,
quantum effects may be rather strong. Having studied cell biology,
I believe that this may be the best explaination for certain
phenomena occuring in living cells (Protein construction being
the foremost example in my experience).

If true then personal consciousness would be the result of what
might be described as collaboration between the individual in this
world and their counterparts in those other worlds.

Since there are infinitely many universes and infinitely many
counterparts, the true person would best be seen as the sum
of those infinite personal selves. Put it like this;
We are not (just) flesh-and-blood organisms existing in
time and space.
Rather we are infinite, ageless and eternal beings spanning
the multiverse.

But this is still not the single supreme person posited by
advaita vedanta, I believe another step of reasoning may be
required, which I would like to look into more deeply.
It is this;

The personal self, has counterparts in many of these
other worlds; infinitely many in fact. There may be
worlds in which I have no currently existing counterpart,
and worlds in which my counterpart is barely recognisable
as such.

But consider this; perhaps it is possible to concieve of
a counterpart to myself in some world which would be
indistinguishable from your self in this world.
Could it not be said, if this were true, that even within
this one world, you and I are counterparts?
If so then we would not only be infinite, world spanning
entities, but simply one single entity; one ultimate
person composed of the myriad of individual selves which
inhabit and experience every aspect of every world in the
multiverse.

I believe that this may give the scientific validation
which I mentioned earlier; it should be possible for
the existance of these other worlds to, at some point,
be scientifically verified. And similarly it should be
possible to determine whether the human mind and perhaps
even all life is a product of quantum interference
between worlds (since I believe that the amplification
of quantum interference may be an important factor in
biological activity of all kinds).

If it turns out that the nature of our consciousness
as world-spanning entities is indeed scientifically
verifiable, I believe this will go a long way toward
validating advaita vedanta as a perfectly reasonable
scientific theory.

I know that I am on shakey ground here and that I am
sticking my neck out; its something that I have only
just begun to put together and which I would like
very much to study more deeply.

I hope that my explaination makes sense!