Bhakti yoga

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 25 16:14:22 CDT 2002

>So, in many of the translations, God seems to be an insufficient and
>misleading word to use for Brahman.   Is God used because of lack of a
>better term?  What do you mean when you use the word God, especially from
>Advaitin perspective?

There is a very traditional answer to this from the Advaita perspective.
God is the creator, maintainer and destroyer of the universe, and is the
impartial arbiter of the fruits of actions.

>Jaldhar asked, (probably for me to ponder the question), What do you expect
>God to be?  I have a very clear answer to this.  And my answer does not
>incorporate a God of any sort.  Because the word God, never comes to mind

This is puzzling, and I am left in no better understanding of what you
expect God to be than I was before.

Vidyasankar