Bhakti yoga

reachhemant reachhemant at SIFY.COM
Sat Jun 22 02:43:56 CDT 2002

I have a few remarks to make on Jaldhar's excellent posting.
The Absolute is not a point of view. It is the Truth. The various points of
view belong to the relative domain. But the relative domain in Sankara is
unreal, mithyA. So while there are no degrees of reality operating, degrees
of unreality do. The prAtibhAsic is more unreal than vyAvahAric. Thus while
there can be experiences on the way which are helpful such as that of the
Isvara as Vidyasankar has correctly pointed out earlier, they cannot be
resting places for the seeker. When the sAdhaka at last experiences the Self
, the Isvara and the world simply sink in it or are otherwise dissolved. The
Isvara abolished, no place for Bhakti would remain except if you redefine
Bhakti itself ideosyncratically as some do. That is the inexorable logic of
Sankara's philosophy which states clearly that liberation can come by Jnana
and Jnana only.
            In this connexion I am reminded of a conversation between Dilip
Kumar Roy and Sri Ramana. Roy asked Sri Ramana  the difference between Jnana
and Bhakti. Sri Ramana replied,  "Bhakti is Jnana-mAtA." What he meant was
that Jnana emerges from the womb of Bhakti. I would add that once emerging
it proceeds to swollow its mother. Be it noted that Sri Ramana himself,
being an exceptional soul was able to realize effortlessly without any need
for the helpful adjunct of Bhakti.

with best regards,

Hemant
P.S. 'Brahma satyam jaganmithyA' ; this statement itself does it not belong
to jagat rather than Brahman and is therefore a part of mAyA i.e. mithyA. It
is worth pondering. The finale is not Sankara but Gaudapada.
PPSS  The place of Bhakti in non-dualistic philosophies other than advaita
has been a very fruitful exercise for me.