How many Gita's?

Wed Jun 5 09:06:23 CDT 2002

Whoops i noticed this question went unanswered:

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Erik Mossel wrote:

> mentions a total of 25 Gita?s: -
>
> - anugiitaa
> - ashhTaavakragiitaa
> - avadhuuta giitaa
> - bodhyagiitaa
> - braahmaNagiitaa
> - brahmagiitaa
> - gurugiitaa
> - ha.nsagiitaa
> - haariitagiitaa
> - jiivanamuktigiitaa
> - ma.nkigiitaa
> - paaraasharagiitaa
> - paNDavagiitaa
> - pingalagiitaa
> - raamagiitaa
> - ribhugiitaa
> - Rishhabhagiitaa
> - shampaakagiitaa
> - shhaDjagiitaa
> - shrutigiitaa
> - uddhava giitaa
> - utathyagiitaa
> - vaamadevagiitaa
> - vichakhnugiitaa
> - vR^itragiitaa

...and even that does not exhaust the list.  there is Ailagita and
Bhumigita in the Bhagavata Purana and Durgagita in the Devi Bhagavata and
many others.

> When I?m well informed there are also various Gita?s circulating where
> Krishna?s name is being replaced by that of popular deities, e.g. --Ganesha
> Gita-- and the like. Can anybody comment on this?

We needn't assume all the Gitas are imitations of  the Bhagavadita (though
some obviously are.)  The term is rather ill-defined.  Basically all they
have in common is they are about adhyatmic topics and a conversation
between two people.