Shruti and logic

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 28 21:50:05 CST 2002

>  Since the realization of the entity (Self) resulting from the
>  intervention of knowledge produced by inference is indirect,
>  direct realization depends *only* on the vAkya (of the shruti).
>  (Sureshvara) thus resolves the issue raised by the opponent.

The *depends* should be highlighted in the above statement - shruti by
itself cannot cause realization - else everybody who reads the shruti will
be liberated. The shruti is the only valid *pointer* to reality as it
represents the experiences of sages who experienced reality - but by itself
since it is nothing but words and ideas it is in the realm of avidhya. As
Shankara himself says the shruti only instructs - it instructs us about the
changeless absolute which is part of our own identity, its qualities and
benefits to be had by experiencing it and also show us the path to
experience it. Atman jnaanam (brahma vid brahmaiva bhavati) is to be had
only by atma vichaaram which includes surrender at the end.