jIvan mukta's world view

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 31 14:38:02 CST 2002

>See following verses from Atmabodha, the words of a jIvanmukta -
>
>samyak.h viGYaanavaan.h yogii svaatmanyevaakhilaM jagat.h .
>ekaM cha sarvamaatmaanamiikshate GYaanachakshushhaa .. 47..
>
>The sage (yogii), who knows well (samyak.h viGYaanavaan), sees the whole
>world (akhilaM jagat.h) in his own self (svaatmany eva), and sees
>(iikshate)
>the one self (ekaM aatmaanam) as all (sarvam), through the eye of wisdom
>(GYaanachakshushhaa).

What Shankara means by the verse can be one thing and what we understand of
it can be something else.

What does a jivanmukta see? The dynamics of "seeing" in this context is
multifold and highly complex. Words like "physical eyes" and "inner vision"
have to be carefully understood/used in this context - especially so,
considering the doctrine of maya in Advaita.

Anyway IMO the issue itself is of little importance to those "on the path".