Songs of Ramprasad

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 17 00:22:43 CST 2002

Dear Friends,

Continuing the thread, here is the third instalment;

After being assured of his livelihood, thanks to the Rs. 30.00 monthly
pension assured by the jamindar, Ramprasad went all out for his sadhana and
requested his mind to dive deep via this song;

Taking the name of Kali, dive deep down, O mind
into the heart's fathomless depths,
Where many a precious gem lies hid.
But never believe the bed of ocean bare of gems
If in the first few dives you fail;
with firm resolve and self control-
dive deep and make your way to Mother Kali's realm.

Down in the ocean depths of heavenly wisdom lie
the wonderous pearls of peace, O mind
And you yourself can gather them,
If you have but pure love and follow the scriptures rule.
Within those oceans depths, as well,
six alligators lurk- lust anger and the rest-
Swimming about in search of prey.

Smear yourself with the turmeric of discrimination,
The very smell of it will shield you from their jaws.

Upon the ocean bed lie strewn
Unnumbered pearls and precious gems,
Plunge in, says Ramprasad, and gather up handfuls there!

This song is a great solace to devotees of Mother Kali, or the mother
aspect of the divine. It helps concentrate on the goal and also reminds us
of the real purpose of life. It is of great help both to monks as well as
lay devotees. This song is sung regularly in almost all kinds of religious
functions in Bengal.

Regards
Jagannath

Ps: Jaldhar I am posting from the website. Mails from my e-mail address are
still bouncing.