The Three guNa-s

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 14 17:17:19 CST 2002

Namaste,

Some remarks on the post on the three guNa-s.

>Two basic tattva-s which are responsible for creation are:
>shiva tattva and shakti tattva. shiva tattva is the chit
>shakti of the (supreme) Being and shakti tattva is the
>Ananda shakti.
>
>The universe really exists in shiva tattva. But what exists
>in the shiva tattva is a very abstract universe. Let us call
>this plane of abstract manifestation P_c, c for chit. It is
>best to refer to manifestation in the plane P_c as unmanifest!
>Plane P_c might be what the scriptures refer to as avyakta,
>or P_c might even be more abstract than avyakta.
>
>shakti tattva gets modified based on the state of the plane P_c.
>This creates a second plane of manifestation P_s, s for shakti.
>That is, P_s is a projection of P_c. This projection is brought
>about by mAyA shakti. This P_s is what the Being sees at the
>universe. For this reason it is said that "shakti is the
>mirror in which shiva sees itself (himself)".

Correction: shiva tattva is cit shakti (not chit).

P_c being projected onto shakti and thereby creating the illusion
of P_s, is the cause of adhyAsa. This is also where the rope and
the snake analogy comes from. P_c is the rope and P_s the snake.

Best regards
Shrinivas