brahmavid=Krishna

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sat Aug 31 13:44:23 CDT 2002

namaste,

>Enter Swami Vivekananda from page no. 154, para
>12(chapter "India-Cause of Her Degeneration") of the
>book "Teachings of Swami Vivekananda", Advaita
>Ashrama:
>
>"The Lord has shown me that religion is not in fault,
>but it is the Pharisees and Sadducees in Hinduism,
>hypocrites, who invent all sorts of engines of tyranny
>in the shape of doctrines of Paramarthika and
>Vyavaharika. (V.15)."

I will be the first person to admit that my knowledge of advaita vedanta is
only elementary. I have been of the impression till now that the idea of
paramarthika and vyavaharika satyas is an important part of advaita
vedanta. If this is not so, I would like knowledgeable list members to
correct me. If it is an important part of advaita vedanta, it seems to me
from the above quote that Swami Vivekananda may not be *mainstream* advaita
vedanta.

In any case, I would also like to know from Sri Kiran how Swami Vivekananda
handles the contradiction between the statements in the Upanishads about:

1) Ishvara creating and sustaining the universe, and
2) Brahman being nishkriya etc.

without resorting to the vyavaharika and paramarthika satyas.

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan