karma and upAsana (was Re: Shiva sutras)

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 22 12:57:38 CDT 2002

Jagannath Chatterjee <jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Jaladharji, somehow I cannot accept that upasana is a stumbling process. As
>a advaitin you can negate the process of realisation as "ignorance" but
>does it remain "ignorance" when one chalks out the path and walks on it? I
>find upasana very enchanting and meaningful. No, I am not attracted more to
>the means rather than the end. My aim remains "full and perfect
>understanding". But I cannot adopt the dry reasoning of Jnana Yoga alone, I
>enrich my upasana with Bhakti and Karma also. Am I wrong?

Different people have different approaches. There is nothing wrong with
that. Please check Sankaracharya's comments on Gita 13.24. dhyAna-yoga, or
what is normally called upAsana, and sAMkhya-yoga, or what is usually called
jnAna yoga, are alternative approaches (upAya).

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar