karma and upAsana (was Re: Shiva sutras)

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 22 06:40:56 CDT 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:49:12 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>Once a person has the idea that ones self is more than just the body the
>processes by which he stumbles towards a full and perfect understanding
>can be called upasana.

Jaladharji, somehow I cannot accept that upasana is a stumbling process. As
a advaitin you can negate the process of realisation as "ignorance" but
does it remain "ignorance" when one chalks out the path and walks on it? I
find upasana very enchanting and meaningful. No, I am not attracted more to
the means rather than the end. My aim remains "full and perfect
understanding". But I cannot adopt the dry reasoning of Jnana Yoga alone, I
enrich my upasana with Bhakti and Karma also. Am I wrong?

Regards

Jagannath