pravR^itti vs nivR^itti

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Fri Aug 2 10:24:33 CDT 2002

I request those who intend to reply to use this thread as I would not want
the translation series cluttered with our discussions.  That way if anybody
searches the archives, they can be spared of "too much noise".  Others may
also follow this guideline and sort of "leave Sri Vidyasankar alone" to
translate peacefully -:)

SVS

-----Original Message-----
From: Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 11:07 AM
To: 'List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara'
Subject: RE: Translation Series - Gita Bhashya - Introduction 1/3

Thanks for the reference for (2).

Regarding (1) - this sometimes makes me wonder.  Let us say:  I work with a
view to earn money and take care of my family.  I am ambitious to progress
in my career.  At the same time I read giitaa pray to God to relieve myself
from limitations.

What is the above called?  I feel it is partly pravR^itti and partly
nivR^itti.  Do the shaastras call such a person confused?  A little while
ago Sri Vidyasankar said that there is a bridge between the two.  The below
seems to suggest that once I take up nivR^itti marga, I have to give up my
desires or to put it differently - till I give up my desires I am not yet in
nivR^itti marga.  I am trying to keep the context of Sri Jaladhar's posting
on iishaavaasya - something is not clicking within !!

That is saddening because even though I have love for God, I still have
worldly desires.  Does that mean I have not yet taken the path of
spirituality. May be I am asking too many questions too soon.  Perhaps these
would be covered later in giitaa.

Regards,
SVS

PS:  I would rather know the truth about where I am (as per shaastras) even
if it is not flattering.