Exegesis of mahAvAkyas

ken knight hilken_98 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 27 03:48:25 CDT 2001

--- "S. V. Subrahmanian" <svsubrahmanian at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:
> Excerpt from Sri Ramakrishnan B's posting:
>
> Step 3: relation of laxya-laxaNa:
>
> Although there is the relation of visheshhNa and
> visheshhya, the words is not
> used in the sense of an object having different
> attributes, as in a lot s being
> blue or red. They are used in the sense of
> laxaNa-laxya. laxaNa is the
> implication and laxya is what is implied. To give an
> example: when the ether in
> the pot and the ether outside it are equated, there
> is the relation of
> visheshhaNa-visheshhya. But, there is really one
> ether which has no attributes.
> The relationship is understood by
> laxya-laxaNa-artha. I.e, the incompatible
> elements between the pot ether and the other ether,
> namely the idea that ether
> is constrained within and outside the pot, is
> discarded - ghaTetarakhyariva
> (see NaiSi 3.9).
Namaste all,
May I extend the original idea on the 'ether' to
include the space within the molecular structure of
the pot. Where is any division of this space, is it
not just a continual flow; within, without now have no
meaning?
If there is no division can there be a relationship
between the pot and the 'ether'?
Is there a point of contact?
If there is, what happens to the point of contact when
the pot breaks and is pulverised?
I think that the Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 9, has some
interesting discussion on this.
Maybe I am missing some information re. relationship,
if so please direct me to relevant texts,
Many thanks
Ken Knight