Where do they belong?

Chandrashekaran Venkataraman VCHANDRA at AMBERNETWORKS.COM
Tue Sep 25 14:35:08 CDT 2001

Dear members,
  I am sure many of you have already read this following message I am
quoting from CNN.
  The following is a message from an Islam fundam. on CNN page. If we just
focus on the message below removing all the calamities surrounding us,
this sounds like something from the mouth of a warrior committed to fight
a righteous war just like the setting of Gita. I am baffled as to where
these people really belong ? Seems like Islam sports its censuring attitude
towards other religions in an overly fashion.

+++++++++
"To our Muslim brothers in Pakistan, peace be upon you."
"We ask God to make us defeat the infidels and the oppressors and to crush
the
new Jewish-Christian crusader campaign on the land of Pakistan and
Afghanistan. "
"If God allows you to win, there will be no defeat; if he chooses that you
will
be defeated nothing will allow you to win. Therefore, depend on God."
"The Americans are fighting so they can live and enjoy the material things
in
this life. But we are fighting so we can die in the cause of God,"
-Osama
+++++++++

  I am sorry if I drew an indiscreet analogy to our Holy Gita.. I am willing
to know your thoughts on this.

1. Islam fundam. think they are doing the right thing while they are
dying in the name of God while the rest of the world is watching in
horror unable to comprehend this.
2. Are sastras and dharma Universal in their scope without afiliations to
particular religion. In other words, Do sastras and dharma have standalone
existence without religion? Otherwise how do we speak against a particular
action perpetrated by a person of some other religion in the name of his
own religious dharma? (In this context it's noteworthy that even Prophet
Moh.
recommended his followers to wage war to convert a country to Islam).

As often said "there is more damage than good that is there because of
religion". Understandably, this is because of people and not because of
the religion. Even in our own country how many bad things have happened
in the name of religion! So many wars and destructions caused in the name
of religions and Gods. Where is peace? Where did our civilisation go wrong?
What role did the religions miss to play that all this is happening?

  I am sorry if this post reads offensive to any members.

  Regards,
  chandrasekaran.