Sankalpam

S. V. Subrahmanian svsubrahmanian at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 31 10:26:10 CST 2001

Flushing temple (NY):

krouncha dvIpE, ramaNaka varshE, aindra kaNDE, americA deshE

--- Ravishankar Venkatraman <sunlike at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

<HR>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I do not know whether my question below has been addressed in this forum
earlier, but I would like to ask you this question again. Pardon any
repetition.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>When we do sankalpam (mama upaatha samastha ...) during pujas and
functions, we say the words "bhAratha varshe bharatha kande..." . what should
be people living in America say? In the Pittsburgh temple, the priest says
"sridhara kande"; else where some other priest in Boston said "kapila kande"
earlier. When I attended the Chandi Homam, the Sringeri Mutt priest said
"bharatha kande paschime bhage ..." and these are at least 3 versions of
describing our positional parameter in the US. There could be more and I am not
aware of them.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>All these are various ways to say where we are in America. Could someone
indicate the most appropriate one of these all? </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
MSN Explorer at <a