Varna and one more

Fri Oct 19 09:26:18 CDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Sanjay Srivastava wrote:

> I would like to add. Naishthik Brahmins are expected to follow a lot
> apart from being born in a particular caste- starting from their place of
> stay as prescribed by Manusmriti(2.26). We find in this list people
> staying in a mleccha land not following their prescribed profession-
> sitting in judgement of qualifications of others to discourage sincere
> seekers on frivolous grounds..

I don't know where you got the idea anyone was trying to discourage or
doubting sincerity.  If that were the case noone would have said anything
because the insincere never listen or understand.  The pertinence of this
topic I understand (and the reason it does popup again and again) is not
*whether* one should seek but *how*.  Advaita Vedanta is not just a
theory but a practical method for mukti.  The Rshis did not show us a goal
so we could stumble aimlessly toward it.

All thinking, conscious beings have the potential to recognize the
paramatma within them.  However the methods they use to achieve that must
be different because they are different.