New member introduction: Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat

S. V. Subrahmanian svskotra at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 7 16:41:06 CDT 2000

Shri Raviji,

True.  I agree with what you have said.

Let me make one attempt to elaborate.  If you still find my argument faulty,
I will apologize and withdraw.

Infact I too joined the course, but had to give it up [after attending one
of their convocations in LA] after knowing that they will not give Kriya
initiation if one does not accept Sri Yogananda as their SadGuru.  I have
great respects for him, anyway.

[I am not able to look into the archive currently as I am getting a message
that the database is currently offline.  So I will try to recollect the
context in which I wrote and try to reply].

It is true that Sri PY had god-visions prior to meeting Sri Y.  Infact PY is
supposed to have been sent by the Rishis (or Babaji, I forget) for
re-establishing the Kriya Yoga technique.  So his behaving like a sAdhaka
was also part of his sojourn on earth.  So looking at him as a sAdhaka, even
though he had god-visions prior to visiting Sri Y, his final consummation
was only at the "guidance" of Sri Y.

The point I was trying to make was that a beginner reading this episode
where Sri Y. after giving him samAdhi woke him up to do daily labours should
not just focus on the fact that a Guru would pop up in our lives and grant
us visions and experiences just like that, which is a fanciful imagination.
That such blessings are also followed by the great Teachers, with a lesson
on integrating their teachings and the sAdhakas experiences into the mundane
life should not be forgotten.  The second half could be excruciating.

When one looks only at the first half namely blessing, one tends take such
events lightly.  They forget the preparedness of the disciple for such an
experience.  On the other hand, when Gurus out of compassion grant such
"candies" ahead of time, they also make sure subsequently that enough is
extracted from the disciple to make him worthy of what has been given.  Sri
Y and Sri PY were good examples of perfect Guru-shishya relationship.  Both
were enlightened and both were playing their respective roles during their
sojourn on earth.

As far as the reason as to why I added "maybe to give him an idea":  Sri PY
was sent to earth to spread Kriya technique.  Sri Y, knowing the worthiness
of his disciple had given him the blessing of the experience.  But
subsequently withheld it from Sri PY for he had a mission to accomplish.
But to be able to communicate to people with authenticity he had "show" him
as it were, "the final consummation".

But I used the incident only to highlight the wrong lesson (the easy part)
that can be taken from such incidents and conclude about not having to do
much from our side ie., we too can misunderstand teachings which are
genuine, and hence become slack [ I was writing on some ways in which
students can also go wrong in making the whole sAdhana look trivial].

I await your feed-back.  If the explanation is still incorrect, I will write
a separate mail to withdraw what I said.  Thanks for highlighting.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org