Fwd: Feed Back on Brahmasuutra Notes

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 9 18:25:01 CDT 2000

My response would be essentially the same as Vishal Agarwal.
This series must continue; there is no question about that,
at least in my mind. There is no other text that is more
worthy of discussion than the sUtra-bhAShya.  The frequency, however,
can be once a weekor even once in two weeks, depending on the
continuity requirements. By continuity requirements I mean that articles
on the same discussion topic should be presented relatively more
frequently so that readers will not lose continuity of the thought
process. I tried to maintain this principle in my presentation of the
advaita-siddhi. For example,if an objection is presented in one article,
the next in the series should not be too far in coming. Of course, I would
encourage the list members to discuss how an objection may be met before
 seeing the  "answers." Of late there has been some discussion about
the futility of intellectual exercises. But you see, there is such a
thing called "manana" or inquiry with the help of reasoning, in the
discipline of "shravaNa-manana-nididhyAsana". Our AchAryas did not
put manana in the list just to make their teaching look intellectual.
What I am saying is there is a time for contemplation and there is a
time for discussion. Think about it. If all of us were to rest in
contemplation of the Supreme, we would not need to say anything at all on
this list. (Imagine a discussion list on SILENCE.) And this list would
die! Good discussion simultaneously helps us to better understand the
teachings of the ArchAryas and keeps this list alive!

Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org