Vedanta and intellect

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 14 15:47:50 CST 2000

Sorry for the late response. I was travelling and didn't have the
text with me to post a response.

The dialogue between YAgnavalkya and his wife Maitreyi (how a woman
could be one of the participants in one of the most profoundest
dialogues on brahma vidhya in the Upanishads itself is a subject for
those discussing the dharma shAstrams to ponder about!) starts off with
Maitreyi requesting YAgnavalkya to teach him about that which is immortal.

YAgnavalkya starts off saying, "Lo, verily, not for the love of a
husband is a husband dear, but for the love of the self a husband
is dear".

The same way he says - wife, sons, wealth, brahminhood, kshatriyahood
etc are not dear for themselves, but for the love of the self are
all these dear.

Finally he says, "Lo, verily, not for love of all is all dear, but
for the love of the self is all dear".

After this he says that it is the self that should be seen, hearkened
to, thought on, pondered on - which would lead to knowledge of the
world.

Then he says that brahminhood has deserted him, who knows brahminhood
in anything in anything other than the self.

This IMO, is one of the vital-est of the expositions of brahma vidhya
found anywhere - not really surprising as YAgnavalkya is without
doubt one of the greatest thinkers BhArath has known.

There are two ways to interpret this passage and both in a sense are
right. I've seen translators, commentators - use either of the
alternatives.

The first one is psychological - it's the one I put forth. It's due
to the sense of self - individuality - developed due to relation
with the world from childhood, that everything becomes dear to one.
For it is on dependance on the "I", that "you" and "that" exist.
With Atma vichAram the falseness of our empirical self is
revealed and thus the transcendental non-dual doctrine emerges.
Brahminhood, which is restricted to one's lifetime and limited by
death, is thus only with respect to the empirical self is not an
absolute truth.

Yes, a consistent interpretation can be made this way. I think
"A primer on Hinduism", authored by a former principal of Vivekananda
college, Madras and published by Ramakrishna Mutt, takes this line.

The second interpretation is more metaphysical. The central doctrine
of Advaitam is that we're the Atman in essence - non-dual and one
without a second. But then we're not aware of this and our whole
life is a cycle of desire and gratification. We desire spouse,
children, wealth etc On attaining them we are gratified. Failure
to obtain leads to pain and suffering. And even that which we obtain,
by the law of diminishing returns, the satisfaction obtained too
doesn't last and leads to pain. But this doesn't deter us
- for till we die we keep desiring something. Not for nothing does
the shruti say that the world moves by the power of desire! Desire
and its gratification is the stuff of life.

But then if we're the Atman, how can we desire such stuff?

Some VedAntists think that the Self bound by empirical life, actually
wishes to regain its true form. But unaware of its true nature, it
mistakenly grasps for that which is not itself. Every desire is but
actually the desire of the Self to regain its true nature, which it
doesn't realize.

This way too can YAgnavalkya's, "it's for the sake of the Self is
everything dear", be explained.

Ofcourse, a combination of both views too can be used to interpret
the dialogue. As long as you know which to relate to the transient
and which to relate to the eternal, you're on safe ground.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.