RFD on advaita-siddhi 12

Tue Feb 29 13:11:07 CST 2000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, elmec wrote:

> Hari Om,
>
> I sense a tinge of anger and impatience in the words of Sri Anand. Why
> should
> one get agitated if some members are keeping quiet ?

If I can speak for Anand for a minute, I doubt very much he is feeling
anger but perhaps a tinge of sorrow.  We can assume that anyone who has
taken the trouble to join this list has a serious interest in Advaita
Vedanta.  Perhaps some have only an academic interest, but judging by the
introductions people send, most are interested in its' practice too.  To
be of any practical use, the philosphy our sages have set forth cannot
just be admired like a mantelpiece ornament, Shravana or listening to the
teachings is important but manana, reflection on them, and nidhidhyasana,
their application are also vital.

In our culture we are brought up not to just babble foolishly but to
quietly and respectfully listen to more knowledgeable people.  When we
have mastered the subject then we feel qualified to speak.  Perhaps this
factor is at play too and some members feel too shy to speak up on topics
they might not know much about.  But they should understand there is
nothing disrespectful about asking honest questions.  It's the only way to
learn!  There are two kinds of ignorant person in my book, one who really
doesn't want to know.  That kind deserves nothing but contempt.  The other
kind may not know for whatever reason but has a sincere desire to learn.
That kind deserves all the help and encouragement we can give them.  But
they have to take that first step and ask.  Although we give the utmost
respect to Gurus and Devas, in the end the goal of Vedanta is the atma
dwelling within us all.  No matter how much help one gets one does
not have access to that atma except through ones own efforts.

Another problem especially for the Western members of the list maybe that
a lot of the cultural background you or I can take for granted is
missing.  Again the solution is to ask if something is not
understood.  Just because advanced topics are being discussed, doesn't
mean basic ones cannot be discussed alongside.  There is no size limit to
the Internet.

Or maybe particular topics being raised are not of interest.  In that case
members shoud start up their own discussion.  One needn't wait for one of
the "regulars t bring it up.  The main rule we have is that disucussion
should concern Advaita Vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara but that covers
a broad area of subjects.

I can sympathize with those caught up in the hectic demands of modern
life.  As I write this it is 2pm and I haven't eaten all day due to a
major project due on Friday.  When this world doesn't even give you time
to eat you can understand why there isn't time for Vedanta.  But one can
always find some time if one searches hard enough.

To conclude, while there may be good reasons for members to stay silent,
there are better reasons for them to speak up.  Anands words should be
taken not as an admonishment but as friendly advice from someone who
cares.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.