The Rig Vedic Ramayana - 2

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 8 02:14:41 CDT 2000

Thank you Anand for posting this series for the upcoming Raamnavmi.
I have a few questions, I hope you will not mind.

I was surprised at first because I did not know that Shri Ram was mentioned
in the RgVeda. Thanks again for pointing this out.

In the English translation of Sayana's commentary of the RgVeda, 10th
madala, 99th sukta, the 1st and the 2nd Rk are translated differently.

Below, I am giving the translation from the Sarasvati-Sindhu civilization
website.

>From: Anand Hudli <anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM>
>
>Rig Veda 10.99.1:
>
>  kaM nashchitramishhaNyasi chikitvAnpR^ithugmAnaM vAshraM vAvR^idhadhyai |
>  kattasya dAtu shavaso vyushhTau taxadvajraM vR^itraturamapinvat.h ||
>

>  O Guru! Who is the praiseworthy, charming person with virtues such as
>  valor and strength, whom you inspire us to glorify? And by extolling
>  Him what result (fruit) can His power can give me? (In reply, it is
>  stated,) by sharpening the viveka (discrimination between the eternal
>  and noneternal), He (rAma) will destroy the vR^itra demon of ignorance!

10.099.01 What marvellous (wealth), comprehensive and laudable, do you,
Indra, knowing (what is needed), bestow upon us for our advantage? What gift
(has been made to us) upon the development of his strength? He fabricated
the Vr.tra-slaying thunderbolt, and let the waters flow.

>Rig Veda 10.99.2:
>
>  sa hi dyutA vidyutA veti sAmapR^ithuM yonimasuratvA sasAda |
>  sa sanILebhiH prasahAno asya bhrAturna R^ite saptathasya mAyAH |
>
>  By His brilliance and prowess, rAma with His (vAnara) forces,
>withstanding
>  the prolonged onslaught of rAvaNa's illusion tactics (mAyA) in battle,
>  destroyed the same rAvaNa along with all his mAyA. rAvaNa, the asura, had
>  (earlier) stolen the daughter of the Earth, sItA, the wife of rAma who
>  hates none.

10.099.02 Armed with the bright lightning he goes to the (scene of)
adoration; endowed with might he has seated himself on the spacious place
(of sacrifice); he (is) triumphant with his companions (the Maruts); the
wiles of his seventh brother do not (prevail) at the rite. [His seventh
brother: bhra_tuh = one who has to share in distribution; seventh: the
seventh of the A_dityas, Dha_ta_ etc.; perhaps the ra_ks.asa_ heti is
meant].

These and other Rks may be found at
http://sarasvati.simplenet.com/rigveda/rvbook10.htm

Rsi is Vaikhaanasa, Devata is Indra and Chanda is Trishtup

>Notes:
>
>  These Riks  correspond to the question by vAlmIki to nArada and nArada's
>  reply in the very first chapter of the vAlmIki rAmAyaNa.
>
>  Anand

Is there a difference of interpretation/translation because of different
traditions interpreting/translating thise Rks differently?

ashish