FW: Shankara's initiation ATTM Dr. Sudhakar R Marur

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Mon Feb 15 13:21:29 CST 1999

Hi Dr. Marur,

I tried to send you this email but it came back undeliverable. So I am
posting it on Advaita-L.

Ashish

-----Original Message-----
From:   Ashish Chandra [SMTP:achandra at wnmail.wndev.att.com]
Sent:   Monday, February 15, 1999 9:29 AM
To:     Dr. Sudhakar R. Marur
Subject:        Re: Shankara's initiation

Dear Dr. Marur,

I am providing the reference herewith.
Dr. Sudhakar R. Marur wrote:
> Dear Shri. Chandra:
>
> Could you kindly mail me the references regarding the initiation of Adi
> Shankara into Kriya yoga by Mahavatar Babaji ?

Autobiography of a Yogi, Paramhansa Yogananda.
Chapter 33.
[...]

Babaji's mission in India has been to assist prophets in carrying out their
special dispensations. He thus qualifies for the scriptural classification
of Mahavatar (Great Avatar). He has stated that he gave yoga initiation to
Shankara, ancient founder of the Swami Order, and to Kabir, famous medieval
saint. His chief nineteenth-century disciple was, as we know, Lahiri
Mahasaya, revivalist of the lost Kriya art. [...]

Hope you find this helpful.
Ashish