Doubts

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 11 13:21:30 CDT 1999

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:36:13 -0700, Sankaran Panchapagesan
<panchap at ICSL.UCLA.EDU> wrote:

>Namaste.
>
>> "henotheism" which means "One but in many forms" or something like that.
>>
>> I don't know how accurate MaxMuller's theories are.
>
>It has traditional support, I think. I read somewhere that Yaska, the
>author of Nirukta (an etymological work attached to the Vedas?) discusses
>various opinions on the devas, and finally gives his opinion that they are
>all different manifestations of the same Atman. Does anybody know more
>about this?

  YAska makes an argument for not attributing anthropomorphic forms
  to Vedic gods in his nirukta. I will check and find out if he
  says that all gods are different manifestations of the same Atman.

 Anand