Doubts

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 10 22:44:40 CDT 1999

Hello :
--- ShrI Ravi <miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Is not vedic religion comes under something like henotheism (I think vidya used this or a
> word something like this sometime in the past)?

AFAIK, "henotheism" is a word that was coined by the Late Maxmuller. He had in fact coined a
previous term "Katheinotheism" to refer to the concept of God in the vedas. Katheinotheism means
"one by one"-theism, i.e. those who have seasonal monotheism. Like worship Deity A on Mondays,
Deity B on Tuesdays etc. Maybe upon closer inspection, he refined his phraseology to coin
"henotheism" which means "One but in many forms" or something like that.

I don't know how accurate MaxMuller's theories are.
-Vivek.