some thoughts on the mind

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Apr 29 07:07:10 CDT 1999

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Sunder Hattangadi wrote:

> namaste,
>
>     Congratulations on selecting a vital topic for discussion.
>
>     One suggestion I would like to offer, is to organise the
> presentation in such away that:
>
> 1.    Your comments come first, buttressed by specific references to the
> scriptures you base them
>         on.
>                 OR
> 2.    Quote the scriptural sentence/passage, and comment on it.
>
> 3.    Categories of questions that are answered, viz. what, why, how,
> where, when, and who as
>        relevant to the passage/comments.
>
>         This can help readers comment on a specific area. It would also
> help to compare other similar words, like chitta, antaHkaraNa, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sunder

namaste.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  The background for this
particular posting (and to the three others hopefully that follow)
is that I have volunteered to address our local discussion group
on this topic, specifically vedantic explanation of the functioning
of the mind. As a prelude to that, I am posting it to this group
with the hope that the learned members give me suggestions for an
improved product of presentation.

I realize specific references to scriptures are missing and I gave
only generalized upanishadic references. That is because, the text
I prepared is in the form of an oral presentation to a group. I will
include specific references in the latter postings. I am following
Shri Shankara's bhAshhyAs on ChAndogya and Br^hadAraNyaka upanishads,
and on Brahma SUtrAs, specifically English renderings by Gambhirananda,
Thibaut, Vireswarananda and others. Specific reference to individual
SUtrAs and upanishadic verses will be provided in the postings.

Yes, I am hoping to develop antahkaraNa as the main upAdhi on the Atman
and that manas, buddhi, chitta as different names of antahkaraNa depending
on the context and function.

Thanks very much for the constructive suggestions.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy