moksha and mumukshutvam

Laura W. / Mantralaura mantralaura at TWAVE.NET
Sun May 24 17:24:49 CDT 1998

sarvebhyo namaH,
  One of the four-fold qualifications (saadhana
chatuShTaya) is mumukShutvaM as stated in
"tattvabodha" as follows:

  mumukShutvaM kim ?
  mokSho me bhR^iyaad iti ichchhaa |

  "Let me attain mokSha" (liberation). This
intense yearning is mumukShutvaM.

  However, once mokSha is attained, the
jiivanmukta is desireless, fearless, etc.
Desirelessness is discussed in Chapter XIV,
shlokas 23, 26 and 27 in "pa~nchadashii"
as follows:

martyabhoge dvayornaasti kaamastR^iptirataH samaa |
bhogaanniShkaamataikasya parasyaapi vivekataH ||23||

 "For both the king and the knower there is no
attraction for worldly enjoyment, and so their
happiness and contentment are comparable. One has
desirelessness because of enjoyment, the other
because of discrimination."

niShkaamatve same.apyatra raaj~naH saadhanasa~nchaye |
duHkhmaasiidbhaavinaashaadatibhiiranuvartate || 26 ||

 "Though there is similarity between the king and the
knower of Truth in desirelessness, there was misery

for the king in accumulating the objects of enjoyment
and the fear of losing them in future follows him."

nobhayaM shrotriyasyaatastadaanando.adhiko.anyataH |
gandharvaananda aashaasti raaj~no naasti vivekinaH ||27||

 "Both these miseries are absent for the knower; so
his bliss is more than that of the king. Besides,
the king may have desire for the bliss of the
Gandharvas, but the knower has none."

  The commentary of "taittiriiya upaniShad", II.viii.5
states:

  "The bliss of Brahmaa, experience on the perfection
of desirelessness and also open to the direct vision of one
who follows the Vedas, is a particle or bit of the Supreme Bliss,
in accordance with the Vedic text, 'On a particle of this very
Bliss other beings live'. This bliss (of Brahmaa and others) is a
particle of that Supreme Bliss that is natural, from which it has
separated like spray from the sea and into which it merges
again. In It (the Supreme Bliss) there is no bifurcation of the joy
and the enjoyer, since It is non-dual."

OM shaantiH shaantiH shaantiH

dhanyavaadaH,
  Mantralaura