|| shrI sha.nkarAchArya aShTottara-shata-nAmAvaliH |

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Mon May 11 22:09:44 CDT 1998

>sUkShmatattvarahasyaj~nAH kAryAkAryaprabodhakaH |
>j~nAnamudrA~nchitakarash-shiShyahR^ittApahArakaH || 3 ||

AUM sUkShma-tattva-rahasya-j~nAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who knows the intricate and secret tatvam. The
word tattvam which is often used to mean philosophy is the key as it
denotes tattvamasi. The most secret, sacred and intricate truth is the
identity of Atman and brahman.

AUM kAryAkaryaprabodhakAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who taught about "what that needs to be done"
and "what that should not be done". To do what has to be done and to
abstain from what that should not be done is the art of right living.

AUM jnAna-mudrA~nchitakarAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara whose hands hold the jnAna mudrA. mudrA means
gesture. There is specific gesture known as jnAna mudrA. This mudra is
also known as chinmudra. In this one joins the tip of the thumb with
the tip of the index finger forming a circle.  The term jnAna mudrA
also means one who gives (ra) the bliss (mud) of jnAna.

AUM shiShya-hrit-tApa-harAya namaH

I bow to shrI shankara who destroys the heat or obstacles that trouble
the hearts of his disciples. He destroys that heat by bestowing
cool nectar like AtmajnAnam. We chant shAnti thrice to overcome the
tApatrayam (AdhyAtmikam, Adhibautika and Adhidaivika). shrI lalita
sahasranAmam praises shrI mAtA as  "tAptrayAgnisa.ntaptasAmhlAdanachandrikA",
Like HER, shrI shankara destroys the tapa by bestowing the cool nectar
of AtmajnAnam.

[to be continued]