lessons-2

Chelluri Chelluri at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 13 20:39:07 CST 1998

                                   Hari Om

Thanks Sada and Anand for so nicely explaining the sutra from Panatanjali and
sloka
from Gita.  I understand now that it is possible by abhyasa and vairagya
and/or comination of both.

Vairagya is curious and is my favorite.  Lets talk about it .    Vairagya can
be developed by viveka... seeing inherent defects in all enjoyable experience.
In my view it can also be developed by divine grace.  Dispassion/detachment
from pleasures develops automatically by Grace.

Let me state what I understand about vairagya.

Some say one should not shun responsibilities and turn to vairagya for wrong
reasons.  I think there is no room for reasons, good or bad, in pursuit of a
goal, in this case vairagya. Dispassion/detachment.   Let us consider two
situations.
1. One who is rich beyond imagination gives up everything recognizing it is
not permanent.  For example take Gautama Buddha.
2. One who is poor gives up his poverty and derive solace in vairagya. (In
this case lets say Nagy.
Everybody appreciates the first case and detest the second saying he did that
for wrong reasons, at least my wife thinks so.  What I feel is, it's not what
others say, it's what gives permanent happiness that counts.

Appreciate you elaborating on vairagya.   Are there any other means besides
abhyasa and vairagya for chittanivrutti in shastras.

Nagy