The seen is the seer

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Fri Mar 13 17:56:27 CST 1998

At 05:23 PM 3/13/98 -0500, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:
>Miguel writes :
>>In order words, you cannot see but what is in your consciousness.
>Maybe. But what about somebody who's blind from birth? What's it they
>see? They've never seen a building - so how do they imagine a building?
>We may see things in a dream - but these images are basically related to
>what we've observed in the waking state. Can any amount of logic and
>reasoning contradict direct experience? The machine on which I'm typing
>right now is right in front of me and I can reach out and feel it. Can
>this experience be refuted?

Your direct experience is of colors, and forms, sounds, etc.  Which are all
Brahman.  Nothing in direct experience says that "this is in my
consciousness," or "this was present before I saw it."  Those are concepts
and theories that come on top of what is experienced.

Direct experience is mediated by the intellect.  Have you seen the books of
Douglas Harding?  They would answer all your questions, for he, somewhat
uniquely, explains non-dualism thru perception and sensation.  Lots of
examples, exercises, etc.

>>So you never see anything that is not in your Consciousness.
>So how's it when I see somebody whom I've never seen before? If I've not
>seen the person before how can the image be in my conciousness? It's
>only when I first see the person and the image is recorded. But without
>first seeing, how can we conjure an image?

>>Consciousness can't ever reach outside itself.
>Can you please elaborate?

Consciousness/Brahman is all there is, so nothing can be outside it.
Nothing is other than it.  The seeing, the seer and the seen are illusory
objects and actions that seem to take place, but this must be inside
consciousness.  The "person" is inside consciousness.  Consciousness is not
inside the person.

--Greg