Maanasa-yaatraa to the 12 Jyotirlinga's - Vaidyanath

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 2 10:02:26 CDT 1998

 Ravi wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Shashidhar Rajamani wrote:
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> Sri Vaidyanath dham - Bihar, Joshidi rail station about
>> fifty miles from Patna.
>>
>> This lingam is said to have been established by
>> the Lanka King Ravana himself. It is said that
>> Shiva agreed to go to Lanka on condition that
>> Ravana does not set the lingam down on ground.
>> However the gods conspired to stop him by asking
>> Varuna to go inside Ravan's bladder. Ravan
>> had to stop and releive himself by setting the
>> lingam on the ground. The local river is the proof of
>> that. However when Ravan tried to pick up the lingam,
>> it would not budge. As he pushed hard, he
>> managed to bend the lignam which is visible to this day.
>> There is also a mineral spring or Kunda
>> nearby. The place is also considered one of the seven dhams.
>>
>> <end quote>

 Thanks to Ravi and Shashidhar for the information on Vaidyanath.

 The attribution of healing or curing capacity to Lord Shiva is
 found in the Vedas. Shiva or Rudra is the best physician because
 He cures the worst disease of all -- avidyA or ajnAna. This is the
 reason why He is called VaidyanAtha.

 In the Rg Vedic Rudra-sUkta we come across the expression:

  bhiShaktamaM tvA bhiShajAM shR^iNomi

 which means

 (O Rudra!) I hear that You are the best among the physicians!

 Here, Rudra has been called "bhiShaktama" or the best physician or
 healer among all physicians, "bhiShajAM".

 This Rudra-sUkta has also been called the shrI rudraM of the Rg Veda
 just as the more popular Yajur Vedic shrI rudraM. The Rudra sUkta is
 commonly employed by Rg Vedins while doing the abhiSheka of Shiva.
 It is a joy to chant or listen to, just as the Yajur Vedic hymn is.

 AUM namo bhagavate vaidyanAthAya

 Anand